Article Posting | Free Blogging Website | Business Directory

PAN card All you need to know

PAN (Permanent Account number) is a 10-character alphanumeric code issued by the Income Tax department to identify a tax payer, whether an individual, Hindu undivided family (HUF), a company, firm or an association of persons. The PAN card is issued under the provisions of section 139A of the Income Tax Act, 1961.

Do you need to apply for PAN?

Yes, if any of the following stands true for you.

  • The application for PAN allotment is made in Form 49A/ 49AA is to be made if your total income crosses the non-taxable limit. But if you need to file an ITR as per I-T Act, then you need to apply for PAN irrespective of the income.
  • Even if your total taxable income is below the limit, but you carry a business or profession where total sales, turnover or gross receipts have crossed or are likely to cross Rs 50 lakh in any year.
  • In case you are supposed to get refund from the I-T department, you need a PAN for it.

How to apply for a PAN card?

  • To apply for a PAN card, you furnish details as required in Form 49A if you are an individual, HUF, company, firm or association of person in India. For any entity outside India, the applicant shall submit details in Form 49AA.

What documents do you need to apply for a PAN card?

For Individuals and HUF

  • Identity proof
  • Address proof
  • Proof of date of birth
  • The details regarding the documents that can be accepted as required above is mentioned in the annexure to the form.

For Company/Firms

  • Copy of Registration Certificate issued by the Registrar of Companies/Registrar of Firms. In case of firms, partnerships deed can also be attached.

Where would you get Form 49A/49AA?

  • The form can be downloaded from the website of Income Tax department ( or NSDL website (
  • The form is also available at any IT PAN centres, TIN facilitation centres, or any such stationary vendors providing such forms.

How much is the processing fee for PAN card?

  • Rs 107 inclusive of tax is charged as PAN processing fee. In case, the PAN card needs to be sent outside India, the applicant needs to pay Rs 1,017.

Can you have more than one PAN card?

  • No, you cannot. It is illegal to have more than one PAN card.
  • You may, however, apply for correction or changes in details in PAN data by submitting a form requesting changes.

What to do if you lose your PAN card?

  • You need to fill the a form for 'Request for New PAN Card/or Changes or Correction in PAN Data'. The form is available on the same websites where the Form 49A/ 49AA are available.

Show More

Hussain iqbal Verified

i am a simple boy. working as a designer at Srinagar in Heavens Trademart.

Related Articles

Instant Support

+91 7298077077